International Advisement

The Office of International Advisement (OIA) helps international students, 教师, 工作人员, and visitors with their visa status; with instructions for entering, 离开, and re-entering the U.S.; with work eligibility, extensions of stay, adjustment to life in the U.S.; and provides support for U.S. benefits such as Social Security applications, U.S. tax filing, and driver’s licenses.

We also work to promote understanding among Juilliard community members of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds. The office organizes various events for community members to engage in cultural exchange and embrace the diversity found at Juilliard.



Vanessa Valenzuela, Assistant Dean, International Advisement and Student Diversity Initiatives
Kariana Alvarado, Diversity Initiatives Assistant
Caitlin McQuaide, Associate Director, International Advisement


Office of International Advisement
The Juilliard School
60 林肯中心 Plaza, Room 245
New York, NY 10023
(212) 799-5000, ext. 358
[email protected]

For International Students


OIA attempts to provide the most recent, useful information to our students. 然而, we make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to handouts or Canvas courses. 信息rmation provided by OIA does not constitute and should not be considered legal advice or a legal opinion, and it may not necessarily reflect the most current legal developments. Students should seek the advice of counsel or a tax professional for additional guidance. OIA reminds students that failure to comply with F-1 regulations is a violation of your status, which may result in serious consequences including the termination of your SEVIS record, your inability to re-enter the US, and the accrual of unlawful presence which could lead to your removal from the US. Direct all questions regarding your F-1 status to OIA, Room 245, [email protected]

  • 梅ntaining Lawful F-1 Student Status All international students are required to maintain their lawful status. This page discusses the various regulations that international students in F-1 status should know.
  • International Student 就业 International students on F-1 visas have very specific regulations about employment; this includes unpaid work. Any work done without proper authorization is a violation of immigration status and can lead to severe consequence.
  • Social Security Application Once you have worked legally in the U.S., you can qualify for a social security number. We recommend that you obtain a social security number as quickly as possible; we are happy to help you with the procedure.
  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Student Online Request Form Students in F-1 status qualify for off-campus work authorization after they’ve been in good standing for at least one academic year at the college level. (AD students are exempt from this restriction.) Students must receive OIA authorization prior to starting any off-campus engagement, even if it is unpaid. Please note that if you cannot get your approval signature because your teacher/administrator is not available, they can complete the online approval form. All CPTs requests and teacher approvals must be submitted electronically.
  • OPT Request Form Students in F-1 status qualify for one year of work authorization after graduation called Optional Practical Training (OPT). Please plan to file for OPT at least three months before your graduation date. OIA provides a workshop each semester on how to file this paperwork.
  • OPT更新表 Students participating in OPT must report changes in employment, U.S. address, name, and visa status within 10 days of the change.
  • O-1文件归档技巧 Students who wish to stay in the U.S. to work as a performing artist are usually required to obtain an O-1 visa. Here are some helpful tips for filing an O-1 visa petition.
  • Requesting 支持 Letters Fill out this form to receive a letter for the purposes of applying for a visa, establishing a bank account, or enrollment/residency verification.
  • 提起你.S. 税 All international visitors must file taxes in the U.S., even if they do not work in the U.S. OIA offers numerous tax services in the spring semester to help qualifying international students file their tax paperwork.
  • Driver's License/ID Application Procedures OIA recommends that all international students apply for identification in the U.S. so that they do not need to use their passport as their main form of identification.


For Faculty, 工作人员, and Visitors

  • Comparing 就业 Visas Descriptions of common visa categories used by Juilliard international visitors, including who qualifies; restrictions; required paperwork; and the duration of stay permitted.
  • Hiring an International Visitor Request Form (To be completed by academic department) If you will be hiring an international visitor, you must complete this form so that O.I.A. can determine the most appropriate visa category for their stay. 
  • DS-2019 Request Form (To be completed by incoming visitor) Used for requesting DS-2019s for J-1 short-term scholars, 教授, and student interns
  • B-1/WB Visa Request Form (To be completed by incoming visitor) Better known as a "tourist" or "business" visa, this page is for international guests who wish to use this visa to enter the U.S.
  • OIA Faculty/工作人员 Handbook
  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT) 支持 Form (To be completed by the major teacher, administrative director, or artistic director of a student requesting CPT off-campus work authorization.)

International Blog

读了 International Blog, featuring interviews with international 教师, 工作人员, and students. Through this series, OIA hopes to provide insight into the vibrant and diverse population at Juilliard.